Guadeloupe to St. Lucia

Home Up About Us About Alegría Art Gallery


Click here to see the photo album

Klik hier om de text in het Nederlands te zien


Guadeloupe (1 to 9 May)

On the 1st of May we sailed in 8 hours, close-hauled from Montserrat to Deshaies on Guadeloupe. This island is so large and high that the wind dropped completely when we sailed into the lee of the island.

Guadeloupe is French and Deshaies is a small village, which looked very peaceful in the late afternoon sun. Most of the people were very friendly. We rented a car and explored the island. Guadeloupe actually consists of two islands, which are interconnected by bridges across the Rivière Salée. The western island, Basse Terre, is mountainous (thus not very "basse" actually) and covered with tropical rainforest. The eastern island, Grande Terre, consists of lowlands and rolly hills, covered with sugarcane fields and green pastures.

The first day we drove around Basse Terre. A winding road runs along the entire coast of the island, which passes small villages along the way. The central and highest part of the island has been made into a national park. There are excellent hikes to several waterfalls and the Soufrière volcano, which is what we did. We walked through the rainforest, following a beautiful path with hanging bridges across the river, to the second waterfall of the Carbet river in the southeast of Basse Terre. It appeared that this rainforest had even higher trees, more flowers and birds than we had seen until then. We saw a lot of heliconia’s or wild plantain flowers. These flowers collect rain water for birds and tree frogs. The waterfall was coming down from a high altitude and was very impressive. I saw a humming bird, which I hadn’t seen for a long time. On the way to Deshaies, we missed the turn-off and, to our surprise, got stuck in a traffic jam just outside Point-à-Pitre on Grande Terre. We had not expected to get into rush-our traffic jams in the Caribbean. That evening we went out for dinner at "La Table du Poisson Rouge", a hotel/restaurant, which was located in a beautiful tropical setting with a view over the bay. An artist and her husband manage it. It looks wonderful. She decorated the place with her paintings and painted the tables in a nice design. She paints during the week and only cooks in the weekends. The dinner, a set three-course menu, was delicious. Perhaps, this is also something I could do later.

The next morning we drove to Point-à-Pitre, to visit the Saturday market. It was very crowded. After some driving around in the centre we were lucky to find a parking spot. I had seen a nice picture of a spice market under shady trees on a picture postcard, and wanted to find this place. They told us this market did not exist anymore. (Later, we saw exactly the same picture postcard in Martinique!) There was a spice market in a large covered hall, which was rather touristy. It was nice to see that some women were wearing traditional dress with white lace and cotton and madras checkered fabrics (these used to be made in Guadeloupe but are nowadays imported from India). I wanted to take some pictures, but they did not like it, until I bought some spices. Maybe I should have bought some spices first and then take pictures. There was also a flower market, where they were selling tropical flowers. Afterwards, we drove the "Route de la Traversée", which runs right through the middle of the national park. We did some more hiking through the rainforest. In a botanical park we learned that many of the flowers in Guadeloupe originally came from Malaysia.

That Sunday we explored Grande Terre. When we left Deshaies in the morning, we just saw everyone coming out of the church wearing their best dress, the women again in local dress. On Grande Terre we drove to rum distillery "Damoiseau" passing through "Les Grands Fonds". This is an area with rolling hills and valleys, which were probably formed by erosion of limestone, much like the "Downs" in South England. There are beautiful houses in this area, most of them with a nice view into a valley. There are green meadows, with grazing cows, ponds and trees. We chatted with a Parisian, who moved here a few years ago. The last part we drove through sugarcane fields and everywhere on the road we saw trucks loaded with sugarcane. The distillery was closed, but we could visit the mill. The sugarcane is squeezed in between spinning vertical cylinders, which are driven by the windmill. The juice is then collected and processed. In the afternoon we went to the beach at St. Anne. This is a beautiful white sand beach, fringed with palm trees along crystal clear turquoise blue water, which is protected by a reef.

The day after we sailed along the west coast of the island, the lee side, to Pigeon Island and snorkelled around. Jacques Cousteau had made this dive site, the best of Guadeloupe, into a national park. We saw lots of squid, and beautiful sponges and corals. The next day we wanted to clear customs in Basse Terre, but unfortunately they were closed, because it was Ascension Day. We took the opportunity to have lunch at a lovely little restaurant overlooking the marina. We needed to get some cash, because the restaurant owner told us that this was not possible at Les Saintes, islands just south of Guadeloupe, where we were heading. He offered us a ride, as he had to get more ice. He was from Paris and lived with his family in Greece and the UK, and had moved a few years ago to Guadeloupe. My French had come back this week, and we had a nice conversation about Guadeloupe, how they liked it here and about the island’s economy. It appears that France is sending less money every year and that the economy of the island is in a slump. The income generated by the relatively small sugarcane, banana, coffee and cocoa plantations, is not enough. Their main source of income is the tourist industry, and especially this year there had not been many tourists. Apart from that, there has always been a love-hate relationship between the local people and the tourists.

Because we could not clear customs, we decided to sail to Les Saintes first and to return a few days later to Basse Terre to do so. After all, it was only 9 miles.

Les Saintes (9 to 14 May)

After sailing close-hauled for two hours we arrived at the bay of Bourg des Saintes, a picturesque fishing village on Terre d’en Haut, one of the Saintes. The story goes that fishermen from Brittany settled here long ago. As there have not been plantations on these islands, they have not been affected by slavery. The next day we went ashore with beautiful weather. When we got out of our dinghy, we met another Dutch couple, Bart and Annemieke, and had a chat. We decided to have breakfast together, and they bought us nice croissants and other goodies. It was very nice. It turned out that they just got married and that this was their honeymoon. They were chartering a boat and would also sail to the South. We thought our paths would cross several times, but this only happened once more in Martinique, just before they left. We notice that we go a lot slower now that we sail around in our own boat, than when we were chartering boats. Then the emphasis was more on the sailing and has shifted now to exploring the islands.

Bourg des Saintes is a nice village full of small boutiques. There was e.g. a sailor, who became an artist and now designed cloths and hand painted them in bright, mainly blue-green colours, to sell them, together with his Brasilian wife. For me another nice idea of what to do next. OnTerre d’en Haut we walked to Baie de Pompière, where we had the entire beach to ourselves at 4:30 pm. We also walked up to Fort Napoleon, where we saw old ships models and had a great view over the bay of Bourg des Saintes. There were many curious iguanas in the gardens around the fort, which approached us to look at us and we looked at them. We also saw many humming birds on the way, but I could not film them, because they were so fast.

We went at anchor at Îlet Cabrit for a different view. This anchorage was nice and quiet. At a certain moment fishermen arrived in a small boat, who tried to catch some fish with a snorkeler and a net. It seemed that it was the snorkeler’s job to chase the fish into the net. This was done with some upheaval and without a lot of success. When it was quiet again, we went snorkelling. It was very nice with ochre and deep red sponges, corals, anemones and lots of small, colourful fish. We saw a young angelfish, a moray eel and just above the sand we saw HHHHHThis was domeWWI flying gurnards. These fish are 30 cm long and look very impressive when they spread their wings (but they cannot fly). Then we sailed back to Basse Terre on Guadeloupe to clear customs. A strong wind with gusts up to 32 knots was blowing from the East. We arrived early in Basse Terre on a broad reach, so that we had plenty of time to clear out and then we sailed back to Les Saintes. Luckily the wind dropped somewhat, because now we had to sail close-hauled. In the evening we met Nick and Gertrud on board the "Tartufo" for the first time. We spoke to them earlier on the SSB radio (Each morning between 8 and 8:30 all sailors in the Caribbean try to contact each other on the SSB on 8104 KHz). They would also sail to Dominica the next day.

Dominica (14 to 20 May)

After a three hours close-hauled sail, with a reefed mainsail and genoa, we arrived in Portsmouth, the most northerly anchorage in Dominica, and anchored next to Tartufo. A boat boy or vendor approached us, as soon as the anchor was set. Apparently, some years ago, sailors would be hassled here by several boat boys, local boys in small, wooden fishing boats. They would come alongside in a rough manner, to sell all kinds of goods and services. There was usually a lot of competition between them, such that the boat owner did not know what to do anymore or whom to talk to. Nowadays this is all better organised. A number of boat boys is a member of the River Taxi Association and they take turns to provide you services, like organise taxi tours around the island, boat trips, selling fruit, bread and do your laundry. We hung our fenders over the railing, to protect our hull, but it wasn’t really necessary, as they were very careful. While we had Nick en Gertrud over for drinks, Jeffrey came to see us. We decided to go on a boat trip on the Indian River with the four of us.

That night it rained cats and dogs. Dominica is known for this, and is often called the rainbow island. In the early morning it was dry again and we hoped to get nice weather. Jeffrey picked us up right on time, and brought us to the mouth of the Indian River. There we stepped into another boat, in which Andrew was going to row us up the river. It was a very nice tour through a mangrove forest. We saw big crabs, blue herons with a nest and flowers. After rowing us quite a distance up stream, Andrew stopped at a café in the forest, which was closed that day. The rain just started to pour down again. Andrew collected the water in plastic containers, so that the restaurant had some water to wash the dishes. Afterwards, he made us a kingfisher and a fish out of palm leafs. Rowing down the river on the way back, was a lot easier, now that the river was running fast due to the rain. We arrived cold and wet at the river mouth and drank a warm cup of coffee together, before we went back to the boat. We were so cold, that we switched our heater on, imagine that in the tropics! (We have to do this every month anyhow, because it is better for the heater).

The next day the four of us had a fantastic tour around the island guided by Winston. Leaving Portsmouth we first made a small detour, because Winston wanted to show us the house where he was born. This was a small hut on short stilts with a corrugated plate roof, measuring barely 2 by 3 metres. Many Dominicans live this way. Dominica has been independent since 1978 and has been so unfortunate that a lot was destroyed by a hurricane in 1979. The people are poor, but very friendly. We drove along the Atlantic coast passing endless banana and coconut plantations. The banana industry formed the main source of income of the island until recently. But unfortunately, they could not compete with the other countries, which are able to produce bananas in a cheaper way. We stopped in the Carib Territory, an Indian reserve, the only place in the Caribbean, where the "original" Carib Indians still live. The Caribs were not the first settlers of the Caribbean islands. They came after the Ciboney and Arawak Indians. All these Indians came from South America, and crossed the waters island hopping in their small boats from Venezuela to the North. The features of the Carib Indians are very different than of the rest of the population. They were selling hand woven baskets and woodcarvings along the road. Again we saw magnificent waterfalls, the Emerald Pool and Milton Falls. Especially the trip to the Milton Falls in the Syndicate Forest was spectacular. We had to pass through a plantation with all kinds of fruit trees first in order to get there. Then we had to follow a path along and through the river to get to the waterfall. We had to take our shoes of, because we had to cross the river twice. It was funny to feel the mud squeeze through your toes. The waterfall itself was also worth it. It was great to be accompanied by such a good guide. He knew a lot and told us everything about the different plants and trees. He learned this from his grandmother, who often used to send him into the "bush" to collect certain plants. He picked lemongrass, pachouli, oregano and leafs for herbal tea for us, and showed us coffee plants and cocoa, cinnamon and nutmeg trees. He picked a whole stalk of bananas, passion fruits and grapefruits for us. The bananas were particularly tasty. As we had already bought bananas from some boat vendors, we ended up with a whole pile of bananas, which we had to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Jeff brought us back to our boats in the evening, and we had drinks on board the Tartufo. Jeff promised to bring us a breadfruit, cooked in a fire. He brought this the following morning. We ate it cooked and fried with fruit. It was tasty and tremendously filling, so we could not eat much else that day. Captain Bleigh (of the Mutiny of the Bounty) imported the breadfruit tree from Polynesia into the Caribbean to serve as food for the slaves.

Walking through Portmouth we were approached by a lady called Judith. She invited us to come to her home. Her house was also barely 2 by 3 metres, divided in a living room with an old bordeaux red sofa and 2 chairs, and a bedroom behind it with a mattress on the floor. She said that she could cook for us that evening, but we had planned to sail on that day. She gave us a picture postcard to remind us of our visit and she did not want anything in return. We felt a bit uneasy because of it. This was someone so poor, and yet so giving. We both were sad to leave, as we had had a good time here and we also made friends with some of the Dominicans.

Together with Tartufo we sailed down to an anchorage at the Castaways Hotel, about halfway the lee side of Dominica. The wind was coming out of all directions, was occasionally very gusty and dropped completely at other times. We stayed another two days, whereas Tartufo continued to sail to the South. One day we spent reading a book on the black sand beach and the next day we went with a guide to the boiling sulphur springs and the Trafalgar Falls in the vicinity of Soufrière. We went for a swim in the refreshing, fast running water in the Titou Gorge.

We thought Dominica was one of the most beautiful, unspoiled islands we had seen.

Martinique (20 to 31 May)

Upon rounding the southern tip of Dominica we got into high seas and wind gusts, which was a bit unpleasant, as we had to sail close-hauled. Somewhat later it got better as we could sail on a beam reach. We anchored off St. Pierre in the north of Martinique.

St. Barth, Guadeloupe, Les Saintes and Martinique are French islands and one can clearly notice this. The food on these islands is great, and the islands are more touristy and economically more developed than the islands, which used to be British colonies.

St. Pierre is a typical French town at the foot of the Mt. Pelée volcano. It once used to be a flourishing town, surrounded by rich plantations. It was called the Paris of the Caribbean until the volcano erupted in 1902. The town was destroyed, and there were only two survivors, a cobbler and a prisoner. We walked to the DePaz rum distillery, which lies on a beautiful estate just outside the town. The pressing of the sugarcane is driven by a steam engine. We also went to Ceron, an old sugarcane plantation. There were only some ruins left, but we could still see how the process of making sugar used to be. The surrounding gardens were very pretty.

On May 22nd we saw the celebration of the abolition of slavery. That day the streets of St. Pierre were filled with parades with drum music, songs and burning torches at night. In this atmosphere you could imagine a little bit how it must have been in those days.

During our sail down to Anse Mitan we had a lot of squalls with wind gusts. When we arrived we saw Nick en Gertrud on Tartufo. We thought Anse Mitan was very touristy. At night we had a pizza ashore and exchanged sail experiences with Kitty and Donn, who we met earlier in St. Pierre. Afterwards we had a drink and listened to more drum music on the beach.

From the 23rd to the 25th of May we were anchored at Grande Anse d’Arlet. The 24th of May, my dad’s birthday, and the 25th of May, the day that he died last year, were two very special days for me. The weather was beautiful and it was an extremely clear night and day. This was rather special, as we had seen lots of clouds and rain the week before. I heard later that there had been a socalled "green flash" that day at sunset. This phenomenon only occurs on a very clear day, when the sun has just disappeared below the horizon. We hiked from Grande Anse d’Arlet to Petit Anse d’Arlet, a small fishing village.

We had to beat to windward to sail to St.Anne on the south side of Martinique. We were invited by Ria en John aboard the "Queen of Hearts", a Dutch couple living in Brasil, who we met for the first time in St. Pierre. The next day, when we entered Marin, we met Tartufo again, and we had Nick and Gertrud over for dinner. That same day, Marcel met Bart by coincidence, and Bart and Annemieke also dropped by to visit us. It was very nice to meet up with all of them again. The day after, we rented a car and visited the Jardin Balata with the four of us. These gardens are beautifully designed with many tropical plants. We saw many hummingbirds, which we finally caught on film. It was a pity that Bart en Annemieke had to fly back to Holland that evening.

St. Lucia (31 May to 4 June)

We arrived in Rodney Bay on St. Lucia after a lovely sail on a beam reach with 10 to 18 knots of wind. Everything was closed early, so we decided to anchor near Pigeon Island. This used to be a British naval base in the 19th century. The next morning we wandered around the historical park and sailed to Marigot Bay in the afternoon. This idyllic bay is surrounded by mangrove swamp and a palm beach. Just before we dropped our anchor, two boat vendors started to yell at us and to each other, to get our attention. Because we stayed calm, they soon left us in peace. We also bought some bananas, avocados and limes from them, which cheered everyone up again.

The next day we wanted to anchor in between the Pitons, two volcanic cones, which withstood erosion, and are typical of St. Lucia. The mooring buoys there were all taken, and the boat boys were so pushy that we decided to anchor in Anse Chastenet. On the way there we heard a noise under the boat near the propeller, and the entire boat started to shake. And we stopped completely. Marcel put the gear in reverse and then, luckily everything was back to normal again. It was a bit scary, if you are so close to the coast without any sails and you can’t use your motor. Later I saw pieces of plywood drifting in the water, or maybe it was a rope. Marcel checked the propeller at anchor, and everything looked fine.

The anchorage at Anse Chastanet was very rolly. The next morning we arrived early at the Pitons so that we could take a mooring buoy. From here we (hitch)hiked to the so-called drive-in volcano. A guide told us that Soufrière, a town name used on every island, comes from "Sulfur in the air", which we really could smell here. It was an impressive site, a white-yellow slope with boiling, black mud pits and steam clouds, smelling of sulphur. The guide assured us that we would become 10 years younger, now that we walked around in sulphur vapours. So we asked him how old he was. There were also a mud bath and a hot water bath. From there we hitchhiked with Urs and Nene from New York to the Diamond Falls and the botanical garden. The falls were nice and the garden was very pretty.

That evening we went for a great Italian buffet dinner ashore. During the night, the wind was very strong, funnelling through the Pitons, and in the morning our dinghy was up side down again. Marcel had to take the outboard motor apart again, clean and flush it with fresh water, and put it back together again. He was so experienced now, that we could still leave for St. Vincent that day at eleven o’clock in the morning.

Guadeloupe (1 tot 9 mei)

Op 1 mei zijn we in 8 uur op een aan de windse koers van Montserrat naar Deshaies op Guadeloupe gezeild. Dit eiland is zo groot en hoog dat de wind het laatste stukje helemaal weg viel, zodra we in de luwte van het eiland waren.

Guadeloupe is Frans en Deshaies is een klein dorpje dat er in het late middaglicht heel vredig uit zag. De meeste mensen waren erg vriendelijk. We hebben een auto gehuurd en het eiland verkend. Guadeloupe bestaat eigenlijk uit twee eilanden die door bruggen over de Rivière Salée met elkaar verbonden zijn. Basse Terre, het westelijke eiland, is bergachtig (dus niet erg "basse") en begroeid met tropisch regenwoud. Grande Terre, het oostelijke eiland, is laag, heuvelachtig en begroeid met suikerrietvelden en groene weiden.

De eerste dag zijn we heel Basse Terre rondgereden. Langs de hele kust van het eiland loopt een bochtige weg, die af en toe door kleine dorpjes gaat. Het hart van het eiland, tevens het hoogste deel, is een nationaal park. Hier kun je prachtige wandelingen door het regenwoud, naar diverse watervallen en de Soufrière vulkaan maken. Dat hebben we dan ook gedaan. We zijn door tropisch regenwoud via een prachtig pad met hangbruggen over de rivier naar de tweede waterval van de Carbet rivier in het zuidoosten van Basse Terre gelopen. Het regenwoud had hier nòg hogere bomen, nog meer bloemen en vogels dan we tot nu toe gezien hadden. We hebben veel heliconia’s of "wild plantain" bloemen gezien. In de kelken van deze bloemen blijft water staan, voor vogels en kikkers (’n kikkerbadje!). De waterval was indrukwekkend hoog. Ik zag hier voor het eerst na lange tijd een kolibri! Op weg naar Deshaies reden we verkeerd en kwamen we tot onze verbazing in een file bij Point-à-Pitre op Grande Terre te zitten. Zo’n drukte hadden we op een Caribbisch eiland toch niet verwacht. Die avond zijn we bij Deshaies uit eten gegaan in "La Table du Poisson Rouge", een hotel/restaurant, dat in een prachtige tropische setting met uitzicht over de baai gelegen was. Het wordt gerund door een kunstenares en haar man. Het ziet er heel leuk uit. Zij heeft zelf de tafels beschilderd met leuke motieven en er hangen ook schilderijen van haar. Door de week schildert ze en kookt alleen in de weekends. Het diner, een drie gangen menu, was fantastisch. Wie weet is dit ook nog wel een leuk idee, om later zelf zoiets ergens op te zetten.

De volgende ochtend zijn we naar Point-à-Pitre gereden, om daar naar de zaterdag markt te gaan. Het was er stampvol. Na een rondje door het centrum konden we gelukkig nog een parkeerplaatsje vinden. Ik had op een ansicht kaart een leuk plaatje van een kruiden markt onder de bomen gezien en was daar naar op zoek. Die markt bleek helaas niet meer te bestaan. (Later zagen we op Martinique precies dezelfde markt op een ansichtkaart!) Er was wel een kruiden markt in een grote overdekte open hal. Het was voor de touristen opgezet. Het was wel leuk dat sommige vrouwen rond liepen in klederdracht, wit kant en een madras ruitje (tegenwoordig niet meer in Guadeloupe gemaakt maar in India). Ik wilde wat foto’s maken, maar dit werd niet erg gewaardeerd, totdat ik wat kruiden kocht. Achteraf gezien had ik misschien beter eerst wat kruiden kunnen kopen. Er was ook een tropische bloemen markt. Daarna zijn we over de "Route de la Traversée" dwars door het nationaal park gereden en hebben nog een prachtige wandeling door het regenwoud gemaakt. In een Botanisch park zagen we dat veel van de bloemen die je nu op Guadeloupe ziet, oorspronkelijk uit Maleisië kwamen.

Op zondag gingen we Grande Terre verkennen. Toen we ‘s ochtends wegreden, ging net de kerk uit en zagen we iedereen mooi uitgedost, de vrouwen weer in klederdracht, de kerk uit komen. Op Grande Terre zijn we naar de rum destilleerderij "Damoiseau" gereden via "Les Grands Fonds" of "grote diepten". Dit is een gebied met heuvels en dalen, die waarschijnlijk ontstaan zijn door verwering van kalksteen net als de "Downs" in Zuid Engeland. In dit gebied staan prachtige huizen, bijna allemaal met uitzicht over zo’n dal. Het landschap is heel lieflijk met weilanden, waar koeien lopen te grazen, vijvers en bomen. We hebben daar nog gezellig staan praten met een Parijsenaar, die daar was komen wonen. Het laatste stuk reden we door suikerrietvelden en overal zag je vrachtwagens afgeladen met suikerriet op de weg. De destilleerderij was gesloten, maar we konden de molen toch bezichtigen. Het suikerriet wordt a.h.w. door een grote wringer gehaald, die aangedreven wordt door de windmolen. Het sap wordt opgevangen en verwerkt. ’s Middags zijn we naar het strand bij St. Anne gegaan. Een prachtig fijn wit zand strand met palmbomen er langs en helder turquoiseblauw zwemwater, beschermd door een rif.

De dag daarop zijn we langs de westkust, de lijzijde, van het eiland naar Pigeon Island gezeild en hebben daar rondgesnorkeld. Jacques Cousteau had van deze duikplaats, de beste van Guadeloupe, een nationaal park gemaakt. We hebben veel inktvissen gezien en mooie sponzen en koralen. De volgende dag wilden we uitklaren in Basse Terre, maar helaas was de douane al gesloten, omdat het hemelvaartsdag was. We hebben toen gezellig op een terrasje met uitzicht op de marina geluncht. We moesten nog geld halen, omdat we van de restaurant eigenaresse hoorden dat je dat niet kon doen op Les Saintes, eilanden net ten zuiden van Guadeloupe, waar we naar toe gingen. We kregen een lift van haar man, die nog ijs moest halen. Hij kwam uit Parijs en had met zijn gezin in Griekenland en Engeland gewoond en was een aantal jaar geleden naar Guadeloupe verhuisd. Mijn Frans was in deze week weer aardig teruggekomen en we hebben honderduit gepraat over Guadeloupe, hoe het hen beviel en over de economie van het eiland. Het blijkt dat Frankrijk steeds minder geld stuurt en dat de economie van het eiland in een slump raakt. De suikerriet-, bananen-, koffie-, en cacaoplantages zijn betrekkelijk klein en leveren niet genoeg geld op. Hun voornaamste bron van inkomsten is de touristenindustrie en vooral dit jaar waren die er niet zoveel. Bovendien is er altijd een beetje een haat-liefde verhouding tussen de lokale bevolking en de touristen.

Omdat we niet konden uitklaren, besloten we om eerst naar Les Saintes te zeilen en een paar dagen later nog even terug te zeilen naar Basse Terre. Het was tenslotte maar 9 mijl.

Les Saintes (9 tot 14 mei)

Na twee uur aan de wind zeilen kwamen we aan bij Bourg des Saintes, een schilderachtig vissersdorpje op Terre d’en Haut, een van de Saintes. Het schijnt dat zich hier heel lang geleden Betonse vissers gevestigd hebben. Er zijn hier geen plantages geweest en daarom hebben deze eilanden geen slavernij meegemaakt.We zijn de volgende dag met schitterend weer aan wal gegaan en toen we uit onze dinghy stapten, kwamen we een ander Hollands stel tegen, Bart en Annemieke, waar we mee aan de praat raakten. We besloten om samen te gaan ontbijten. Zij hebben ons op een heerlijk ontbijt getrakteerd met croissants en andere heerlijkheden. Het was reuze gezellig. Het bleek dat ze net getrouwd waren en dat dit hun huwelijksreis was. Zij hadden een boot gehuurd en gingen ook naar het zuiden. We dachten dat we hen nog vaak tegen zouden komen, maar dat gebeurde pas op Martinique, vlak voor hun vertrek. We merken dat ons tempo, nu we met onze eigen boot rondzeilen, veel lager ligt dan toen we een boot huurden. De nadruk lag toen meer op het zeilen en nu meer op eilanden verkennen.

Bourg des Saintes is een dorp vol aparte boutiquejes. Zo was er een zeiler die nu kunstenaar was geworden en samen met zijn Braziliaanse vrouw kleren ontwierp en in prachtige (vooral blauwgroene) kleuren schilderde en die verkocht. Nog een leuk idee om zelf te doen.We hebben op Terre d’en Haut nog een wandeling gemaakt naar Baie de Pompière, waar we om half vijf het hele strand voor onszelf hadden. We zijn er ook naar Fort Napoleon geweest, waar modellen van oude zeeschepen te zien zijn en van waaruit we een prachtig uitzicht hadden op Bourg des Saintes. Buiten liepen er leguanen rond, die nieuwsgierig naar de touristen kwamen kijken en wij naar hen. We hebben ook veel kolibri’s gezien, maar ze waren net te snel om ze te kunnen filmen.

Om weer een ander uitzicht te hebben zijn we bij Îlet Cabrit voor anker gegaan. Dit was een heerlijk rustige ankerplaats. Op een gegeven moment kwamen er vissers in een klein bootje, die probeerden met een snorkelaar en een net vissen te vangen. HHHHHHet leek de bedoeling dat de snorkelaar de vissen het net in joeg. Het ging met veel misbaar gepaard, maar leverde niet veel op. Toen het wat rustiger was zijn wij gaan snorkelen. Prachtig was het hier onder water met okergele en donkerrode sponzen, koralen, anemonen, en heel veel kleine kleurrijke vissen. We zagen een jonge angelfish, een moray eel en vlak boven het zand zagen we flying gurnards, 30 cm lange vissen die er heel indrukwekkend uit zien, als ze hun vleugels spreiden (waar ze overigens niet mee kunnen vliegen).

Toen zijn we op en neer gezeild naar Basse Terre op Guadeloupe om uit te klaren. Er blies een harde wind met windstoten van 32 knopen uit het oosten. Met ruime wind waren we zo in Basse Terre en konden nu op ons gemak uitklaren en zijn toen weer terug naar Les Saintes gezeild. Gelukkig was de wind iets gaan liggen want nu zeilden we een aan de windse koers. ’s Avonds hebben we voor het eerst Nick en Gertrud van "Tartufo"

ontmoet, die we al eens over de korte golf radio gesproken hadden. Iedere ochtend tussen 8 en half 9 proberen alle zeilers in de Caribbean elkaar te bereiken op de korte golf radio op 8104 KHz. Zij gingen de volgende dag ook naar Dominica.

Dominica (14 tot 20 mei)

Na drie uur aan de wind zeilen met gereefd grootzeil en genua kwamen we aan in Portsmouth, de meest noordelijke ankerplaats in Dominica en legden Alegria voor anker naast Tartufo. Bijna direkt na aankomst kwam er een zogenaamde "boat boy" of "boat vendor" naar ons toe. Vroeger werd je hier door allerlei boat boys, lokale jongens in kleine, houten vissersbootjes, lastig gevallen. Ze kwamen dan wat ruw langszij om allerlei diensten aan je te verkopen. Er was dan ook vaak een enorme onderlinge concurrentie, waar je als booteigenaar horendol van werd. Nu is het allemaal wat beter geörganiseerd. Een aantal boat boys zijn lid van een Association en zij verzorgen om beurten van alles voor je. Van taxi tours op het land, boottochten, tot fruit, brood en de was. Als je slim bent hang je stootwillen buitenboord, maar eigenlijk is dat vaak niet nodig, want tegenwoordig zijn ze voorzichtiger. Toen Nick en Gertrud bij ons aan boord waren voor een borreltje, kwam Jeffrey ons opzoeken. We besloten om de vogende ochtend vroeg met z’n vieren een boottocht op de Indian River te maken.

Die nacht regende het pijpenstelen. Daar staat Dominica bekend om. Het wordt ook wel het regenboog eiland genoemd. ’s Ochtends vroeg klaarde het wat op en we hoopten op mooi weer. We werden keurig op tijd door Jeffrey opgehaald en naar de monding van de Indian River gebracht, waar we overstapten op de boot van Andrew, die ons de rivier op ging roeien. Het was een prachtige tocht door een mangrovebos. We zagen grote krabben, blauwe reigers met een jong in een nest en bloemen. Toen Andrew ons een eind stroomopwaarts geroeid had, kwamen we bij een café in het bos, dat die dag gesloten was. Het begon net weer pijpenstelen te regenen. Andrew ving het water op in plastic bakken zodat het restaurant weer afwaswater zou hebben en daarna vlocht hij van palmbladeren een kingfisher en een vis voor ons. Stroomafwaarts, weer terug naar de riviermonding, hoefde Andrew nauwelijks te roeien, omdat de rivier nu door de regen sterk stroomde. We kwamen nat en koud aan en dronken samen nog een warm kopje koffie, voordat we weer teruggingen naar de boot. We hadden ‘t zo koud dat we de verwarming weer eens aangezet hebben en dat in de tropen! (Nou moeten we dat toch een keer in de maand doen, want dat is beter voor de kachel, dus het kwam best goed uit).

De volgende dag zijn we met z’n vieren en gids Winston het halve eiland rondgereden. Het was een fantastische tocht. Vanuit Portsmouth maakten we eerst een kleine detour, omdat Winston ons zijn geboortehuis wilde laten zien, een klein hutje van nog geen 2 bij 3 meter op poten met een golfplaten dak. Zo wonen veel Dominicanen. Dominica is sinds 1978 onafhankelijk en had de pech dat er in 1979 een orkaan gewoed heeft, die veel verwoestte. De mensen zijn arm, maar heel vriendelijk.Via de Atlantische kust reden we door eindeloze bananen- en kokosplantages. De bananen industrie vormde tot voor kort de belangrijkste bron van inkomsten van het eiland, maar ze konden helaas niet tegen de concurrentie op met landen die hun bananen goedkoper kunnen oogsten. We zijn gestopt in de Carib Territory, een Indianen reservaat, de enige plek in het Caribbisch gebied waar nog "oorspronkelijke" Carib Indianen wonen. De Caribs waren niet de eerste bewoners van de Caribbische eilanden. Zij kwamen na de Ciboney- en de Arawak Indianen. Al deze Indianen waren afkomstig uit Zuid Amerika en trokken in hun kleine bootjes van Venezuela eilandje voor eilandje naar het Noorden. De gelaatstrekken van de
Carib Indianen zijn duidelijk anders dan van de rest van de bevolking. Ze verkopen handgevlochten rieten mandjes en houtsnijwerk in stalletjes langs de weg. We hebben weer prachtige watervallen gezien, de Emerald Pool en de Milton Falls. Vooral de tocht naar de Milton Falls in de Syndicate Forest was spectaculair. Om er te komen moesten we eerst door een plantage met allerlei gewassen rijden en dan via een pad langs en door de rivier naar de waterval. We hadden onze schoenen uitgetrokken, want we moesten de rivier twee keer oversteken. Het was een grappig gevoel, de modder die zich tussen je tenen doorperste. De waterval zelf was ook zeer de moeite waard. Het was goed dat we zo’n goeie gids bij ons hadden. Hij wist ons alles te vertellen over de verschillende bomen en planten. Hij had dit van zijn oma geleerd, die hem er vroeger vaak op uit stuurde om in de "bush" planten e.d. te verzamelen. Hij plukte citroengras, pachouli, oregano en bladeren voor kruidenthee voor ons. Hij wees ons koffie planten, cacao- , kaneel- en nootmuskaatbomen en plukte voor ons een hele bananenkam, passievruchten en grapefruits. Vooral de bananen waren erg lekker. Nou hadden we door wat misverstanden al bij twee "boat vendors" bananen gekocht, zodat we aan boord een hele bananenberg hadden, waar we bij ontbijt, lunch, tussendoor en voor toe van moesten eten. ‘s Avonds werden we door Jeff weer teruggebracht naar onze boot en hebben bij Tartufo aan boord nog even wat gedronken. Jeff beloofde voor ons nog een breadfruit te stoven in het vuur en die naar ons te brengen. Dat kwam hij de volgende ochtend doen. We hebben het gestoofd, gebakken en met fruit gegeten. Het was best lekker en het vult geweldig, zodat je de hele verdere dag niets meer hoeft te eten. Captain Bleigh (van de muiterij op de Bounty) heeft de breadfruit tree vanuit Polinesië geïmporteerd in het Caribbisch gebied om als voedsel te dienen voor de slaven.

Toen we door Portmouth liepen werden we aangesproken door Judith. Ze nodigde ons uit om met haar mee te gaan naar haar huisje. Dit was ook weer zo’n klein, 2 bij 3 meter huisje op poten met zitkamer met sjofele bordeauxrode bank en slaapkamer erachter met een matras op de grond. Ze zei dat ze voor ons kon koken die avond, maar we waren van plan om door te zeilen. Ze gaf ons nog een ansichtkaart als aandenken mee en ze wilde er niets voor hebben. We voelden ons wat ongemakkelijk met de situatie. Hier was iemand zo arm en zo vrijgevig. We vonden het jammer om weer weg te gaan, we hadden het hier naar ons zin gehad en ook vrienden gemaakt onder de Dominicanen.

Samen met Tartufo zijn we toen doorgevaren naar de ankerplaats bij Castaways Hotel halverwege de lijzijde van Dominica. De wind kwam van alle kanten, blies soms heel sterk en viel dan weer helemaal weg. Tartufo zeilde de volgende dag weer verder naar het Zuiden en wij zijn nog twee dagen gebleven. Een dag hebben we een boek gelezen op het zwarte strand en de volgende dag zijn we met een gids naar kokendhete zwavelbronnen en de Trafalgar Falls in de buurt van Soufrière gegaan. We hebben gewommen in het snel stromende, koude water in de Titou Gorge.

We vonden Dominica een van de mooiste, meest onbedorven eilanden.

Martinique (20 tot 31 mei)

Tijdens de tocht van Dominica naar Martinique spookte het bij de zuidpunt van Dominica. Er stonden hoge golven, er waren enorme windstoten en we moesten aan de wind zeilen. Later werd het halve wind en gemakkelijker. We zijn in het noorden van Martinique bij St. Pierre voor anker gegaan.

St. Barth, Guadeloupe, Les Saintes en Martinique zijn Franse eilanden en die sfeer is duidelijk (letterlijk) te proeven. Deze eilanden zijn ook touristischer en welvarender dan de eilanden die voorheen Engels waren.

St. Pierre is een typisch Frans stadje aan de voet van de vulkaan Mt. Pelée. Het was ooit een bloeiende stad, omringd door rijke plantages. Het werd wel het Parijs van de Caribbean genoemd, totdat in 1902 de vulkaan uitbarstte. De stad werd verwoest en er waren maar twee overlevenden, een stratenmaker en een gevangene. We zijn naar de DePaz rum destilleerderij gelopen. Deze ligt op een prachtig landgoed even buiten de stad. Een stoommachine wordt gebruikt voor het persen van suikerriet. We zijn ook naar Ceron geweest, een oude suikerriet plantage. Deze was behoorlijk vervallen, maar je kon nog wel zien hoe het proces van suiker maken vroeger in zijn werk ging. De tuinen er om heen waren prachtig.

Op 22 mei hebben we de viering van de afschaffing van de slavernij meegemaakt. Die dag waren er optochten met trommels en zang en ’s avonds met fakkels erbij door de straten van St. Pierre. Het riep zoveel sfeer op, dat je je er een beetje een voorstelling van kon maken hoe het in die tijd geweest moet zijn.

In enorme stortbuien met windstoten zijn we naar Anse Mitan gezeild en hebben daar Nick en Gertrud op Tartufo weer gezien. Anse Mitan vonden we erg touristisch. We hebben ‘s avonds een pizza gegeten en hebben zeilervaringen uitgewisseld met Kitty en Donn, die we eerder in St. Pierre hadden ontmoet. Daarna hebben we op het strand nog een drankje genomen en naar meer trommel muziek geluisterd

Van 23 tot 25 mei lagen we in Grande Anse d’Arlet. 24 mei, mijn vader’s verjaardag, en 25 mei, de dag dat hij vorig jaar stierf, waren twee heel bijzondere dagen voor mij. Het was prachtig weer en uitzonderlijk helder. Dat was nogal bijzonder omdat het steeds bewolkt geweest was met veel regen. Later hoorde ik dat er die dag bij zonsondergang ook een zogenaamde "green flash" te zien was geweest. Dit is alleen te zien bij heel helder weer als de zon onder de horizon verdwijnt. We zijn van Grande Anse d’Arlet naar Petit Anse d’Arlet, een klein vissersdorpje gewandeld.

Na een flink stuk aan de wind zeilen kwamen we aan in St.Anne aan de zuidkant van Martinique. Daar werden we uitgenodigd bij Ria en John aan boord van de "Queen of Hearts", een Hollands echtpaar uit Brazilië, die we voor het eerst in St. Pierre ontmoet hadden. Toen we de volgende dag Marin in voeren, kwamen we Tartufo weer tegen. Nick en Gertrud hebben op een avond gezellig bij ons aan boord gegeten. Die dag kwam Marcel ook Bart toevallig tegen en zijn Bart en Annemieke vlak voor hun vertrek ook nog even bij ons aan boord geweest. Het was heel gezellig, al dat weerzien. De dag daarna hebben we met hen een auto gehuurd en zijn naar de Jardin Balata gegaan, een prachtig aangelegde tuin met tropische planten en veel kolibri’s, die we eindelijk konden filmen. Het was jammer dat Bart en Annemieke die avond al weer terugvlogen naar Holland.

St. Lucia (31 mei tot 4 juni)

Na een heerlijke zeiltocht met halve wind, 10 tot 18 knopen, kwamen we aan in Rodney Bay op St. Lucia. Alles was daar vroeg dicht en we verlegden ons anker naar Pigeon Island, dat in de 19de eeuw een basis van de Britse marine was. Daar hebben we de volgende ochtend wat rondgelopen door het historische park en zijn ‘s middags naar Marigot Bay gezeild, een heel idyllische baai omringd door mangrovebossen en een palmenstrand. Nog voor we het anker hadden laten vallen, begonnen twee boat vendors te schreeuwen naar ons en naar elkaar, om onze aandacht te krijgen. Maar gelukkig was het gauw afgelopen, omdat wij ons redelijk rustig hielden. We hebben ook wat bananen, avocado’s en limoenen gekocht en toen was iedereen weer blij.

De volgende dag wilden we tussen de Pitons gaan liggen, die kenmerkend zijn voor St. Lucia. De Pitons zijn twee vulkaan kegels die de erosie hebben weerstaan. Maar de mooring boeien waren al bezet. Verder waren de boat vendors zo opdringerig dat we besloten om bij Anse Chastenet te gaan liggen. Op weg daar naar toe hoorden we iets onder de boot bij de propellor en de hele boot begon te trillen. We gingen niet meer vooruit. Marcel zette hem in z’n achteruit en gelukkig deed hij het toen weer. Het was wel even schrikken, als je je zeilen al gestreken hebt, je zit dicht bij de kust en je kunt met je moter geen kant op. Later zag ik stukken triplex in het water drijven, of misschien was het een touw. Marcel heeft er toen we voor anker lagen naar gekeken en kon niets ontdekken. Alles was in orde.

De ankerplaats bij Anse Chastenet was vreselijk rollerig. De volgende morgen waren we er vroeg bij en konden nu wel een mooring boei bij de Pitons krijgen. Van daaruit hebben we een wandel/lift tocht gemaakt naar de zogenaamde drive-in volcano. Daar hoorden we dat Soufrière, een plaatsnaam die op ieder eiland voorkomt, komt van "Sulfur in the air", wat hier goed te ruiken was. Het was een indrukwekkend gezicht, een helling van witgele steen met kokende zwarte modderpoelen en naar zwavel stinkende stoomwolken. De gids beweerde steeds dat je 10 jaar jonger werd als je in die zwaveldampen rondliep. We hebben hem toen gevraagd hoe oud hij dan nu wel was. Je kon er ook een modderbad en een warm water bad nemen. Van daaruit zijn we met Urs en Nene uit New York meegelift naar de Diamond Falls en botanische tuin. Ook dit was weer een prahctige waterval en een schitterende tuin.

’s Avonds hebben we heerlijk aan de wal een Italiaans buffet gegeten. Die nacht woei het heel hard tussen de Pitons door en na een onrustige nacht lag ons bijbootje de volgende ochtend al weer op z’n kop in het water. Marcel moest weer de hele buitenboordmoter uit elkaar halen en schoonspoelen en in elkaar zetten. Maar hij was er nu zo bedreven in dat we om elf uur konden vertrekken naar St. Vincent.