Canary Islands

Home Up About Us About Alegría Art Gallery


Click here to see the photo album

Klik hier om de text in het Nederlands te zien

13 September to 13 November – Canaries

On the 13th of September we departed from Lagos on the Algarve (Portugal) with destination Lanzarote (Canary Isles). This is a distance of about 550 nautical miles – the longest passage we have done so far with only the two of us on board. The long-term weather forecast looked favourable, wind force 4 to 6 from the North. According to the pilot book, this is normal for this passage. As we motored out of the marina, there was a light wind from the South. This wind stayed with us for the first hour or two, apparently the effect of being in the lee of Portugal. But then finally the wind picked up from the North. For the first three days we had indeed a force 4 to 6 between north and north-west. The sea was a bit rough. Waves 3-4 meter high would loom up behind us as if they were going to crash on deck, or land in the cockpit. But then the stern would lift up, and the waves passed underneath us, accelerating the boat. The autopilot was doing a fine job steering us downwind. Tania felt a bit scared in these conditions, and thought she would not be able to control the boat, should this become necessary. I encouraged her to try and steer by hand. Much to her own surprise she did very well. It was much easier than she expected. Her confidence in the boat and in herself improved, and she was no longer scared. The first few days of a long passage are always tiring, especially with a small crew. The body has to get used to a different rhythm (we did three hours on and three hours off), and you have to catch up sleep during the day. On top of that, the seasickness tablets tend to make you feel sleepy as well. After three days, life on board started to become a routine, and lack of sleep was no longer a problem. That last day, as we were approaching the Canaries, the wind dropped completely. Up to that time we had done very good speed. We had to slow down to avoid reaching the marina of Puerto Calero before daylight. Entering an unknown harbour in darkness is generally not a good idea. So we ran the motor at low speed and had a very lazy day at sea. We entered the marina at first daylight. This is when we learned about the terrible tragedy in the US on the 11th of September. Somehow we did not see or hear the news before our departure from Portugal on the 13th.

Puerto Calero is a beautiful marina, lined with palm trees, and a range of small restaurants along the waterfront. We found a marine engineer who happened to be a dealer for Spectra watermakers. This was a nice coincidence, because our watermaker had been making strange noises. He could fix the problem under warrantee, but needed spare parts from the States. Unfortunately, in the Canary Islands this takes three weeks, even by courier. Eventually it took a month until the watermaker was running again. We did not feel this was a problem though. We spent the time exploring Lanzarote and Fuerteventua, doing some small jobs on the boat, and generally relaxing.

Lanzarote is a very dry island. Like all the other Canary Islands, it is of volcanic origin. The expat engineer who was fixing our watermaker thought it looked like the moon, and this wasn’t far off the mark. Apart from the various beaches, most other tourist attractions in Lanzarote were designed by Cesar Manrique, a local artist who acquired international fame. This includes his own house, which was built partly inside a lava tube, a cactus garden, and a large lava cave, which he converted into a beautiful party area with swimming pool. Tania and I both liked his work very much, but despite this, these attractions started to feel a bit like a tourist trap after seeing a few. They appeared to be purpose designed to extract money from the tourists. Much to our surprise we found a wine growing area on this arid island. We bought a bottle of semi-sweet white wine from the vineyard, which tasted really nice.

During our stay in Lanzarote, the contestants in the mini-transat race arrived in the marina of Puerto Calero. They had started from France and, after a stop of about a week, continued on their way to Brazil. These courageous (or foolish?) young men race across the Atlantic, single-handedly in what seems like little more than a big dinghy.

The landscape of Fuerteventura, with its many colourful rock formations reminded us very much of Oman. There was also an area of sand dunes. The sand, incidentally originates from the Sahara, and was blown over by easterly winds. The Jandia area in the south has miles of beautiful beaches with white sand and turquoise water. Although not a designated nudist beach, mostly ugly tourists tended to take off all their clothes. In my opinion this should be subject to permission from a beauty contest jury. We moored our boat in the harbour town of Corralejo. The Island Rock café in Corralejo has live music every night, and a very nice relaxed atmosphere. We also found a very nice bar in Calle La Ballena run by an English lady, and a very small (6 tables) but very nice Italian restaurant in the same street. We spent a day and a night at anchor in the lee of Isla de Lobos, just off the coast of Fuerteventura. The water is crystal clear in this anchorage. There are no facilities for tourists on Isla de Lobos, and although we were rolling a bit on the incoming swell, this is a very peaceful place during the night. During the day, ferries bringing tourists from Fuerteventura, as well as jet skies etc disturb the peace.

Shortly after we arrived in Lanzarote, Tania started to have dizzy spells. She has had these problems before, many years ago, and on that occasion it disappeared by itself after two weeks. When the dizzy spells continued for three weeks, we decided to see a doctor. We went to a private hospital in Lanzarote. The doctor recommended us to see a number of specialists in a hospital in Tenerife, and Tania made appointments there. As soon as the watermaker was fixed we departed for Tenerife. Lanzarote to Tenerife is about a 24-hour sail. It turned out to be a very pleasant trip, broad reaching in a force 4-5. We arrived in the harbour of Santa Cruz two day’s before Tania’s appointments in the hospital. Unfortunately, all the pontoon berths were taken, and we could only moor alongside the harbour wall. This meant it was very difficult to go ashore at low tide, when the harbour wall was some 2 meters above the deck, and I was very reluctant to leave the boat unattended. Luckily the next morning we were allocated a pontoon berth. The specialists in Santa Cruz quickly diagnosed the cause of Tania’s dizzy spells. They were harmless, and would go away after doing some specific exercises 2-3 times a day for several weeks. And indeed they did.

Meanwhile we had time to explore Tenerife. Santa Cruz is a very busy industrial harbour with ferry terminals and container terminals. The marina is situated opposite Plaza de España, which is the centre of the old city. Several shopping streets radiate from this main square, each shaded by beautiful green trees. There are some beautiful historical buildings, and a very pleasant park / botanical garden.

Tenerife is the largest island in the archipelago, and also the highest. El Teide, a gigantic volcanic cone reaches to 3718 meters. The prevailing wind tends to be from the north-east. As a result of this, the north of the island is covered in lush green vegetation. The south of the island is dry, and gets the most sun. Seven different climatic zones have been identified, and the island is often termed "a continent by itself". We rented a car for three days to explore. As you go up, the temperature gets cooler, and we had some very pleasant walks in the forest. Lower down there are banana plantations, and wine growing areas. Near the top of the Teide it is cold, dry and windy. Here you are above the clouds. At sunset the view is breathtaking, as you can see the islands of La Gomera, El Hierro and La Palma poke their heads through the clouds. Before we came to Tenerife, I thought of it as an island spoiled by tourism. Indeed, the tourist centre of Playa de las Americas in the south is a horrible place, with loud neon lights everywhere. But luckily most tourists don’t go beyond this Mekka of tourism. So many beautiful places we shared only with the locals.

A beautiful four-masted square-rigger pulled into port. It was the "Libertad", which belonged to the Argentinean navy, and was used as a training vessel for their cadets. We were allowed to look around on deck, and spoke with some of the sailors. As you would expect, the vessel was immaculate. There was lots of brass on deck, which they polished every day! Four days later they left with lots of ceremony, an emotional song on the speakers, and the crew standing in the rigging.

We had made arrangements to meet Max in Gran Canaria. Max is from Liverpool. We met him in Caracas where we belonged to the same diving club and had many weekends away from the city together. On the 23rd of October we sailed from Santa Cruz to Las Palmas on Gran Canaria. This is a distance of 55 nautical miles, almost straight into wind, and with half a knot of current against us as well. We wanted to make sure to arrive in Las Palmas before dusk, so we got up early and sailed out of Santa Cruz at 6:30 in the morning. Alegria performed well, sailing close hauled at almost 6 knots into a steep sea. We could just make the northern tip of Gran Canaria without tacking. We arrived in Las Palmas at 4 pm. We anchored for the night, and next morning we were allocated a place on the pontoon. The friendly owner of a black boat next to us helped us with the dock lines. Then we recognized him. It was Gerard, whom we met on the first aid course in Holland. He is sailing on his own, and plans to sail to Brazil and Chile. It was nice to exchange ideas with Gerard, and to see his boat, which he built himself. Gerard is a very experienced sailor.

I was still not satisfied with the wrinkles that formed in the mainsail when it was reefed (we have a furling mast). I had been in contact with the sail maker in Denmark. His representative in the Canary Islands is in Las Palmas. On recommendation of the designer in Denmark, he changed the "luff curve" a little bit. This has made a considerable improvement.

Max arrived the next evening, with his girlfriend Alex. Together we explored Gran Canaria. They stayed with us for a week. The capital Las Palmas is a big modern city with fancy shops, department stores etc. Max and Alex were delighted to discover that the prices in the shops are considerably lower than in the UK. The old city centre has some beautiful historic buildings. The Cristobal Colón museum, located in the former governors house tells the story of the discovery and the colonisation of America. The northern part of the island has lovely green valleys with mixed vegetation (pine trees, cacti and agaves) as well as banana and citrus plantations. We found some nice old villages in the mountains, which remain virtually unaffected by tourism. The monstrous tourist developments are centred on the beaches in the south.

We went sailing for a day. Alex had never sailed before, and she enjoyed the opportunity to have a go at the wheel. At the end of the day we returned to the marina in Las Palmas. As we reversed into our berth, the rudder suddenly blocked up. We have cable steering, and the cable had jumped off the quadrant. Luckily there was only a light wind that day, and by putting the engine in forward, I could moor temporarily alongside a catamaran on the outside of the pontoon. Closer inspection showed that one of the pulleys in the steering system wasn’t aligned properly. The next day we found a company in Las Palmas who could fix this problem. Hallberg Rassy agreed to pay for the repair under warrantee.

Max and Alex stayed for a week. A few days after they left, Paul van der Kooy arrived. Paul is a good friend of ours. He is Dutch, but we met in Oman. At present he lives in Brunei with his family. Paul will stay on board with us for the trans-Atlantic crossing to Antigua in the Caribbean. We will sail along with John and Amanda on board the "Mahina Tiare", a Hallberg Rassy 46, and Tad and Joyce on board the "Lyric", an Alden 44.

13 september tot 13 november – de Canarische Eilanden

Op 13 september vertrokken we uit Lagos aan de Algarve (Portugal) met bestemming Lanzarote (Canarische Eilanden). Dit is een afstand van 550 mijl – de langste oversteek die we tot dus ver gedaan hadden met alleen ons twee aan boord. Het lange termijn weerbericht zag er goed uit, windkracht 4 – 6 uit het noorden. Volgens het pilot boek is dit normaal voor deze oversteek. Toen we uit de haven vertrokken was er een lichte wind uit het zuiden. Deze wind hielden we de eerste twee uur. Dit kwam kennelijk doordat we in de luwte van Portugal zaten. Maar daarna stak eindelijk de wind uit het noorden op. De eerste drie dagen hadden we inderdaad windkracht 4 tot 6 uit noord tot noord-west. De zee was tamelijk ruw. Drie tot vier meter hoge golven doemden achter ons op, alsof ze in de kuip wilden landen. Maar dan werd het achterschip opgetild, en ging de golf onder ons door, terwijl de boot accelereerde. De stuurautomaat stuurde geweldig op deze voor-de-windse koers. Tania was een beetje bang in deze condities. Ze dacht dat ze de boot niet in bedwang zou kunnen houden als dit nodig mocht worden. Ik moedigde haar aan om te proberen om zelf met de hand te sturen. Tot haar verbazing ging dit erg goed. Het was veel makkelijker dan ze gedacht had. Ze kreeg meer zelfvertrouwen, meer vertrouwen in de boot, en ze was niet bang meer. De eerste paar dagen van een oversteek zijn altijd erg vermoeiend. Je lichaam moet wennen aan een ander ritme (wij deden drie uur op en drie uur af), en je moet overdag slaap inhalen. Bovendien wordt je ook slaperig van de zeeziekte tabletten, die we de eerste dagen nodig hebben. Na drie dagen begon het leven op zee een routine te worden, en waren we niet zo moe meer. Die laatste dag, terwijl de Canarische Eilanden dichterbij kwamen, viel de wind volledig weg. Tot die tijd hadden we erg snel gevaren. We moesten langzamer gaan varen, zodat we niet voor het eerste daglicht in de jachthaven van Puerto Calero zouden aankomen. Het is over het algemeen geen goed idee om een onbekende haven in het donker binnen te varen. Dus zetten we de motor langzaam aan, en hadden een luie dag op zee. Zodra het licht werd voeren we de jachthaven binnen. Hier hoorden we voor het eerst van de vreselijke gebeurtenissen in Amerika op 11 september. Op de een of andere manier hadden we het nieuws niet gehoord of gezien voor ons vertrek op de dertiende.

Puerto Calero is een prachtige jachthaven, met palmbomen en een rij kleine restaurants langs het water. We vonden een monteur die toevallig ook dealer was voor Spectra watermakers. Dat kwam goed uit, want onze watermaker maakte een vreemd geluid. Hij kon onze watermaker repareren onder garantie, maar hij had onderdelen uit de Verenigde Staten nodig. Helaas duurt dit drie weken in de Canarische Eilanden, zelfs met DHL. Uiteindelijk heeft het een maand geduurd voordat de watermaker weer werkte. Maar voor ons was dit geen probleem. We gebruikten de tijd om Lanzarote en Fuerteventura te verkennen, om wat klusjes aan boord te doen en om gewoon wat te relaxen.

Lanzarote is een erg droog eiland. Net als alle andere Canarische Eilanden is het van vulkanische oorsprong. De expatriate monteur die onze watermaker repareerde vond dat het eiland op de maan leek. Dat was wel een rake vergelijking. Afgezien van de stranden, zijn de meeste andere toeristische attracties ontwerpen van Cesar Manrique, een lokale kunstenaar die internationaal beroemd is geworden. Onder die attracties bevonden zich zijn eigen huis, dat gedeeltelijk in een lava tunnel gebouwd is, een cactus tuin en een grote lava grot die hij omtoverde tot een prachtige feestzaal met zwembad. Tania en ik vonden zijn werk erg mooi, maar desondanks voelden deze toeristische attracties op den duur toch aan als een "tourist trap". Ze waren ontworpen en gebouwd om geld uit de zakken van de toeristen te troggelen. Tot onze grote verbazing vonden we ook een wijnstreek op dit droge eiland. We kochten een fles demi-sec witte wijn van de wijngaard, die erg lekker was.

Tijdens ons verblijf in Lanzarote, kwamen de deelnemers aan de mini-transat race aan in de jachthaven van Puerto Calero. Zij waren gestart in Frankrijk en, na een stop van ongeveer een week, gingen zij door naar Brazilië. Deze moedige (of overmoedige?) jonge lui racen in hun eentje over de Atlantische Oceaan in een soort uit de kluiten gewassen Lasertje.

Het landschap van Fuerteventura, met z’n vele kleurrijke rotsformaties deed ons sterk denken aan Oman. Er was ook een gebied met zandduinen. Het zand, tussen twee haakjes, komt uit de Sahara en is komen aanwaaien met een oosten wind. Het Jandia gebied in het zuiden heeft een kilometers lang, prachtig strand met wit zand en turquoise water. Hoewel het niet bestemd was als naaktstrand waren er toch veel, vaak lelijke toeristen die al hun kleren uittrokken. Ik vond dat dit alleen zou moeten kunnen nadat ze eerst toestemming hadden gekregen van een schoonheidscommissie. We legden aan in de haven van Corralejo. Het Island Rock Café in Corralejo heeft elke avond levende muziek, en een gezellige sfeer. We vonden ook een leuke bar in Calle La Ballena waar een Engelse vrouw achter de bar stond, en een erg klein (6 tafels), maar erg goed Italiaans restaurant in dezelfde straat. Gedurende een dag en een nacht lagen we voor anker in de luwte van Isla de Lobos, net voor de kust van Fuerteventura. Het water is hier kristal helder. Isla de Lobos heeft geen faciliteiten voor toeristen, en hoewel we wat lagen te deinen op de golven, is het hier heerlijk rustig ’s nachts. Overdag komen er veerboten met toeristen uit Fuerteventura en ook jet ski’s etc., die de rust verstoren.

Kort nadat we in Lanzarote waren aangekomen, kreeg Tania af en toe last van duizeligheid. Ze had dit jaren geleden eerder gehad, en toen was het na twee weken vanzelf over gegaan. Toen ze er na drie weken nog steeds last van had, besloten we om naar een dokter te gaan. We gingen naar een privé ziekenhuis in Lanzarote. De dokter raadde ons aan om naar een aantal specialisten te gaan in Tenerife, en Tania maakte daar afspraken voor. Zodra de watermaker gerepareerd was, vertrokken we naar Tenerife. Van Lanzarote naar Tenerife is ongeveer 24 uur zeilen. Het werd een heerlijke tocht, met ruime wind kracht 4-5. We kwamen aan in de haven van Santa Cruz twee dagen voor Tania’s afspraken in het ziekenhuis. Helaas waren alle plaatsen aan de steiger bezet en konden we alleen aan de havenmuur gaan liggen. Dit betekende dat het erg moeilijk was om aan land te gaan bij laagtij, wanneer de havenmuur 2 meter boven het dek was, en ik liet de boot hier niet graag onbeheerd achter. Gelukkig kregen we de volgende morgen een plek aan de steiger toegewezen. De specialisten in Santa Cruz wisten snel een diagnose te stellen voor Tania’s duizeligheid. Het was onschuldig en zou vanzelf verdwijnen als ze gedurende een paar weken bepaalde oefeningen deed, 2 – 3 keer per dag. Dat is inmiddels ook gebeurd.

In de tussentijd hadden we de gelegenheid om Tenerife te verkennen. Santa Cruz is een erg drukke industrie haven, met ferry- en container terminals. De jachthaven ligt tegenover Plaza de España, het centrum van de oude stad. Vanaf dit plein lopen diverse winkelstraten, allemaal in de schaduw van prachtige groene bomen. Er zijn een aantal prachtige historische gebouwen, en een mooi park / botanische tuin.

Tenerife is het grootste eiland van de archipel, en ook het hoogste. De Teide, een gigantische vulkanische kegel bereikt een hoogte van 3718 meter. De wind komt meestal uit het noord-oosten, met als gevolg dat het noorden van het eiland bedekt is met weelderig groene bomen en planten. Het zuiden van het eiland is droog en krijgt de meeste zon. Men heeft zeven verschillende klimaatzones geidentificeerd op dit eiland, en daarom wordt het eiland soms "een continent op zichzelf" genoemd. We hebben drie dagen een auto gehuurd om het eiland te verkennen. Naarmate je hoger komt wordt de temperatuur lager, en we hebben heerlijk gewandeld in het bos. Op een lager niveau vind je bananenplantages en wijngebieden. In de buurt van de top van de Teide is het koud en droog. Hier ben je boven de wolken. Bij zonsondergang is het uitzicht adembenemend. Je ziet de eilanden van La Gomera, El Hierro, en La Palma hun hoofd door de wolken steken. Voordat we naar Tenerife kwamen dacht ik dat het eiland verpest was door het toerisme. En inderdaad, het toeristisch centrum Playa de las Americas in het zuiden is verschrikkelijk, met overal van die schreeuwerige lichtreclame. Maar gelukkig blijven de meeste toeristen in dit toeristisch Mekka. En daarom hoefden we veel prachtige plekjes alleen te delen met de lokalen.

Een prachtige windjammer met vier masten bezocht de haven van Santa Cruz. Het was de "Libertad", die eigendom was van de Argentijnse marine, en die gebruikt werd als opleidingsschip voor hun cadetten. We kregen de gelegenheid om aan dek rond te kijken en kletsten wat met de matrozen. Zoals je zou verwachten was het schip in een prachtige staat van onderhoud. Er was veel messing aan dek, wat elke dag gepoetst werd! Vier dagen later vertrok het schip met veel ceremonieel vertoon, een emotioneel lied uit de luidsprekers en de bemanning op de ra’s.

We hadden afgesproken om Max te ontmoeten op Gran Canaria. Max komt uit Liverpool. We hebben hem in Caracas leren kennen, waar we lid waren van dezelfde duikvereniging en we maakten samen veel weekend trips buiten de stad. Op 23 oktober zeilden we van Santa Cruz naar Las Palmas op Gran Canaria. Dit is een afstand van 55 mijl, bijna recht tegen de wind in, en met een halve knoop stroom tegen. We wilden er zeker van zijn dat we voor het donker in Las Palmas zouden aankomen, dus stonden we vroeg op en zeilden om half zeven ’s morgens de haven van Santa Cruz uit. Alegria zeilde erg goed, hoog aan de wind en met een snelheid van bijna 6 knopen tegen een ruwe zee op. We konden het noordelijkste puntje van Gran Canaria net halen zonder te kruisen. We kwamen om vier uur ’s middags in Las Palmas aan. We gingen voor anker voor de nacht, en de volgende ochtend kregen we een plaatsje toegewezen aan de steiger. De vriendelijke eigenaar van een zwart jacht naast ons hielp ons met onze trossen. Toen herkenden we hem pas. Het was Gerard, die we ontmoet hadden op onze EHBO cursus in Rotterdam. Hij zeilt alleen, en is van plan om naar Brazilië en Chili te gaan. Het was leuk om met Gerard van gedachten te wisselen en om zijn zelfgebouwde schip te bekijken. Gerard is een heel ervaren zeiler.

Ik was nog steeds niet tevreden met de kreukels die we in het zeil kregen als het grootzeil gereefd werd (we hebben een rolrif op het grootzeil). Ik had gesproken met de zeilmaker in Denemarken. Zijn vertegenwoordiger in de Canarische Eilanden is in Las Palmas. Op aanraden van de ontwerper, heeft deze het "voorlijk" iets anders gesneden. Dit was een aanzienlijke verbetering.

De volgende avond kwam Max aan met zijn vriendin Alex. Samen hebben we Gran Canaria verkend. Ze zijn een week bij ons gebleven. De hoofdstad Las Palmas is een grote moderne stad met luxe winkels en warenhuizen. Max en Alex waren blij verrast toen ze ontdekten dat de prijzen hier behoorlijk wat lager waren dan in Engeland. Het oude stads-centrum heeft een aantal prachtige historische gebouwen. Het Cristobal Colón museum, dat gevestigd is in het voormalige huis van de gouveneur, vertelt het verhaal van de ontdekking en colonisatie van Amerika. Het noordelijk deel van het eiland heeft prachtige groene dalen met gemengde begroeiing (naaldbomen, cactussen en agaves) en ook bananen- en citrus plantages. We vonden wat mooie, oude dorpen in de bergen, die nog vrijwel onaangetast zijn door het toerisme. De monsterlijke toeristensteden zijn gebouwd rond de stranden in het zuiden.

We gingen een dagje zeilen. Alex had nog nooit eerder gezeild, en ze vond het leuk om een keertje het roer te nemen. Aan het eind van de dag gingen we terug naar de jachthaven van Las Palmas. Toen we achteruit naar onze ligplaats voeren, stond opeens het roer vast. Ons roer wordt met een staalkabel bediend, en die was van het kwadrant geschoten. Gelukkig was er die dag slechts een lichte wind, en door de motor in de vooruit te zetten kon ik langzij komen bij een catamaran aan het eind van de stijger. Toen ik beter keek, zag ik dat een van de schijven waar de kabel overheen liep niet goed in lijn stond met de kabel. De volgende dag vonden we een bedrijf die dit kon verhelpen. Hallberg Rassy betaalt voor de reparatie onder garantie.

Max en Alex zijn een week bij ons gebleven. Een paar dagen nadat zij weg waren kwam Paul van der Kooy aan, een goede vriend uit Oman, die nu met zijn gezin in Brunei zit. Met z’n drieën zullen we de Atlantische Oceaan oversteken naar Antigua in de Caribbische zee. We gaan samen met John en Amanda aan boord van de "Mahina Tiare", een Hallberg Rassy 46, en met Tad en Joyce aan boord van de "Lyric", een Alden 44